HV Electrical Battery Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. We are based in our new state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, where we work in a tight-knit but ever-expanding team. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and successful recruits will have the opportunity to be a part of that growth. The Norton company culture is built on respect, trust, and responsibility. We trust our employees to be fully capable of executing their role/s exceptionally and professionally, whilst valuing personal development, teaching and learning.
We are looking for an HV Electrical Battery Engineer to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the motorcycle design to new highs. As a member of the electrical engineering team, the role HV Electrical Battery Engineer will be to design and develop battery systems across several Norton products. This could include battery topologies, BMS PCB specification and drawings, reviewing suppliers specifications and drawings for suitability and creating any relevant requirement documentation. You will be responsible for your design areas from concept to production.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Understanding the requirements across the product range that must be considered in the development of new battery modules for use on the motorcycle.
- Creating, agreeing, and maintaining standard specification documents (environmental/thermal/EMC/electrical etc) that can be used to ensure all selected components are suitable.
- Creating and reviewing electrical hardware specifications (inputs/outputs etc) for the development of new components.
- Creating and assessing thermal/cooling strategies of the battery system
- Working with other engineers within the wider teams to ensure that all requirements are captured.
- Working with the testing lead to create test and validation procedures for all new and existing components.
- Validating the fundamental design of electrical components with external suppliers.
- Working with other engineers on the optimal locations / packaging of any items where required based on internal and external requirements.
- Support the integration engineers through the development of the vehicles to ensure and issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
- Working with other departments in the selection of suitable suppliers and components.
- Working with the wider electrical team to develop functional specifications and requirements for modules.
Key characteristics that a Battery & BMS Engineer should demonstrate:
- HV safety and requirements
- HV system and component selection
- HV Busbar design
- Cell selection/Supplier liaison
- Automotive electrical component specification and design
- Owning and creating specification documents
- ISO/similar standards for component testing / design
- Be able to read and understand electrical circuit / PCB schematics as required
- Component level testing and fault finding
- CAN/LIN communication and simulation methods
- Direct experience of battery and BMS electrical design (e.g., Busbar/PCB design) from a supplier.
- CREO / Pro-engineer
- Topology design.
Benefits of working for Norton
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
- Competitive salary package
- 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
- Private Medical Healthcare and Cashback Plan
- A generous pension scheme and personalised pension advice
- Life insurance (4x salary)
- WeCare Employee Assistance Programme which includes;
- Online GP services
- Dietary advice
- Mental health support
- Bereavement counselling
- Fitness programme
- Twice yearly employee event (Summer and Winter)
- Free electric bicycle hire
- Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
- On-site free parking
For any applications, please include the following information in an email to our HR Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Full Name
– The role you are applying for
– Covering Letter