Lead Engineer – Chassis
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. We are based in our new state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, where we work in a tight-knit but ever-expanding team. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and successful recruits will have the opportunity to be a part of that growth. The Norton company culture is built on respect, trust, and responsibility. We trust our employees to be fully capable of executing their role/s exceptionally and professionally, whilst valuing personal development, teaching and learning.
The role of Lead Chassis Engineer will be to support the design and development of a number of significant components and systems that make up the motorcycle chassis. This could include frame, swingarm, wheels, fuel system, etc. You will have responsibility for supporting/reviewing and approving concept and production level design, both internally and externally.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for professional engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Designing and developing quality chassis components and systems of new class leading motorcycles.
- Creating quality CAD models, assemblies, and technical drawings (including accurate use of GD&T) to company standards.
- Supporting external design engineering service providers and internal design teams in development of concept and detail design of motorcycle chassis components and systems.
- Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and external service providers and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
- Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
- Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
- Approving concept and detail CAD designs and drawings.
- Presenting designs in reviews with senior management across the company.
- Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
- Making technical decisions as required.
- Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
- Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
- Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
- Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining engineering design guidelines.
- Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
- Occasional travel may be required to support supplier development and product testing.
Key characteristics that a Lead Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
- Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
- Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
- Creation and checking of engineering drawings, including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Design for assembly.
- Design for manufacture.
- Demonstrate technical leadership
- Risk identification and mitigation.
- Problem identification and solution.
- Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
- Qualified to degree level or above in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
- A minimum of 10 years automotive design engineering background (Ideally motorcycle).
- Experience of managing and mentoring design engineers.
- Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
- An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
- A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
- Experience liaising with external design engineering consultancies.
- Experience liaising with the supply chain.
- Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
- An interest in motorcycles.
Benefits of working for Norton
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
- Competitive salary package
- 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
- Private Medical Healthcare and Cashback Plan
- A generous pension scheme and personalised pension advice
- Life insurance (4x salary)
- WeCare Employee Assistance Programme which includes;
- Online GP services
- Dietary advice
- Mental health support
- Bereavement counselling
- Fitness programme
- Twice yearly employee event (Summer and Winter)
- Free electric bicycle hire
- Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
- On-site free parking
For any applications, please include the following information in an email to our HR Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Full Name
– The role you are applying for
– Covering Letter