Senior Concept Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. We are based in our new state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, where we work in a tight-knit but ever-expanding team. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and successful recruits will have the opportunity to be a part of that growth. The Norton company culture is built on respect, trust, and responsibility. We trust our employees to be fully capable of executing their role/s exceptionally and professionally, whilst valuing personal development, teaching and learning.
The role of Senior Concept Engineer will be to design and develop motorcycle whole vehicle concepts. This will be for all components of the motorcycle (chassis, powertrain and electrical). You will be responsible for your engineering areas from project ideation to Concept freeze.
Generating the concept is vital to help guide the Norton Product group to defining a vehicle specification for the end of concept and to inform the team who will take on the project to production.
Working in the concept environment requires the ability to generate several options for feasible engineering solutions and less about the detailed engineering.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for professional engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
• Designing quality components and systems of new class leading motorcycles.
• Creating complex yet high quality CAD models and assemblies to assess feasibility of design direction.
• Production of realistic, logical and relevant plans and timelines for your areas of responsibility. This includes any testing (physical or computational) required to prove the concept.
• Ensuring timely release of all components and design changes in keeping with project timeline.
• Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
• Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
• Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
• Presenting concepts in reviews with engineering and design management
• Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
• Making decisions as required.
• Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
• Mentoring design engineers.
• Driving and improving best practice and efficiency.
• Promoting and actively gaining knowledge in new fields of engineering and technology.
• Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining department procedures.
• Assisting in the recruitment of new team members
• Occasional travel may be required to support supplier development and product testing.
• Actively tracking and recording design and engineering decisions to clarify justification.
• Be able to interpret 2D and 3D designer output into CAD and give accurate feasibility feedback.
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
• Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
• Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
• Design for assembly.
• Design for manufacture.
• Risk identification and mitigation.
• Problem identification and solution.
• Creation, assessment and application of relevant analysis and test methods.
• Qualified to degree level or above in a relevant engineering discipline.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
• Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
• A minimum of 4 years automotive design engineering background.
• Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
• An understanding of motorcycle whole vehicle design.
• A knowledge of DFM and DFA.
• Experience liaising with the supply chain.
• Experience in materials and manufacturing processes.
• An interest in motorcycles.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
• 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
• A generous pension scheme
• Life insurance
• WeCare Employee Assistance Programme
• On-site free parking
• Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
• Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
• Competitive salary package
For any applications, please include the following information in an email to our HR Department: email@example.com
-The role you are applying for
-Attach CV and Portfolio (if applicable)
Please No Agency Applications