Senior Testing & Development Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. We are based in our new state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, where we work in a tight-knit but ever-expanding team. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and successful recruits will have the opportunity to be a part of that growth. The Norton company culture is built on respect, trust, and responsibility. We trust our employees to be fully capable of executing their role/s exceptionally and professionally, whilst valuing personal development, teaching and learning.
We are looking for a time served Senior Engineers to help us grow our Testing & Development team.
A broad skills base with and an all-round knowledge of vehicle, assembly and component validation are required with a preference to previous motorcycle experience.
Timely decision making and positive team values are key to a healthy and productive working environment. We encourage a pro-active can-do attitude by enabling team members to manage their own workload.
A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer – Development
Duties / Responsibilities
Supporting regular project meetings, you will be responsible for updating the projects Technical Lead on testing and development engineering resource, timing and budget plans. You will establish critical path activities while taking a proactive approach to resolving gaps in resource and capacity.
Your planning will include physical whole vehicle, subsystem and component DVP creation and status reporting.
You will be expected to work with Homologation and establish type approval testing requirements and include these in your planning.
Mule, verification and homologation vehicle build planning and coordination with the Workshop Supervisor.
Planning and overseeing of competitor benchmarking. Working with the Lead Attributes engineer to assess and log subjective and objective attributes.
A key benefit of this role is having these responsibilities from the concept phase through to production. This will give you intimate knowledge of each of your projects with the added benefit of seeing ideations through to creation.
Review and input into Engineering Test Procedures. Creation of Engineering test reports.
Management of third-party Engineering Service Providers to bridge gaps in capacity while ensuring delivery to Norton’s Engineering intent to program timing.
Working closely with Norton’s wider team and partners globally.
As a crucial and influential team member you will be expected to;
- Demonstrate a positive working attitude.
- Be supportive and inclusive to fellow colleagues.
- Share and communicate technical knowledge with other teams and individuals.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
- An interest and detailed understanding of fundamental motorcycle principles.
- A minimum of 6 years automotive/engineering background.
- Whole vehicle understanding of Powertrain, Chassis and Electrical systems.
- Experience liaising with the supply chain and management of external contractors.
- Experience working with prototype & benchmark vehicles.
Desirable but not essential
- Proven EV testing and development experience is advantageous but not essential.
- Experience of Road Load Data acquisition and correlation with automated rig definition.
- Homologation experience in particular motorcycle.
- Attribute definition and monitoring.
- Motorcycling riding experience.
- Workshop practical experience ; assembly, machining, fabrication.
Benefits of working for Norton
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
- Competitive salary package
- 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
- Private Medical Healthcare and Cashback Plan
- A generous pension scheme and personalised pension advice
- Life insurance (4x salary)
- WeCare Employee Assistance Programme which includes;
- Online GP services
- Dietary advice
- Mental health support
- Bereavement counselling
- Fitness programme
- Twice yearly employee event (Summer and Winter)
- Free electric bicycle hire
- Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
- On-site free parking
For any applications, please include the following information in an email to our HR Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Full Name
– The role you are applying for
– Covering Letter