Job Description – Electrical Engineer
Norton is without doubt one of the most exciting motorcycle companies in the world. This iconic British brand has recently been acquired by Indian giant TVS, who are looking to invest in its product range and Design & Engineering capability here in the UK.
As such, we are looking for Electrical Engineers to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the motorcycle design to new highs, whilst learning and developing themselves.
The role of the Electrical Engineer will be to design and develop a number of components and systems that make up the motorcycle. You will be responsible for your design areas from concept to production. A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential
Working in a fast paced and dynamic environment, a hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way. We’re looking for driven engineers who share our passion for motorcycling.
Working as a Electrical Engineer your main responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
● Setting up logging equipment
● Data downloading (from loggers) and uploading (to databases)
● Basic data interpretation/processing
● Investigating electrical issues with development bikes, from simple items such as blown fuses etc to more complex issues where deeper electrical knowledge is required
- Checking wiring diagrams, harness drawings, component drawings and specifications
- Using diagnostic software to interrogate ECUs
- Measuring voltages, currents, resistance and other items vs specifications
- Using oscilloscopes and other electrical lab equipment
- Taking apart failed harnesses and components to find route causes
● Carrying out electrical testing to a specification/requirement
● Updating software and calibrations on various development bike ECUs
● Making prototype and modifying harnesses and other electrical components during early development
● Ensuring timely release of all components and design changes in keeping with project timeline.
● Successfully communicating and working with key internal departments and suppliers to ensure quality design and feasibility.
● Following and policing company, departmental and quality policies.
● Ensuring application of relevant industry standards and benchmarking of competitor components.
● Presenting designs in reviews with management across the company.
● Attending and inputting into the engineering reviews and discussions.
● Assisting with technical questions and engineering support
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge including creating and maintaining department procedures.
Key characteristics that an Engineer should demonstrate:
Understanding of key engineering principles, including:
● Understand engineering fundamentals in the design and development of components and assemblies, including:
- Appropriate material and manufacturing process selection.
- Quality engineering drawing including Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Design for assembly.
- Design for manufacture.
● Risk identification and mitigation.
● Problem identification and solution.
● Repairing electrical items – harnesses and components
● Setting up automated testing rigs, this involves microcontroller programming, electrical setup, and mechanical setup with help from mechanical engineers
● Handling bikes, riding on rolling road, short test rides on the road
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● Mechanical Engineering Degree with a grade of 2:1 or above.
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of motorcycle chassis design and its interaction with powertrain and electronics.
● An interest in motorcycles.
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible working available, subject to approval
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.