Job Description – Principal Powertrain Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and this role will give successful recruits the opportunity to be a part of that growth. This role will be based in our state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, working within our tight-knit but ever-expanding team.
As such, we are looking for a time served Principal Powertrain Engineer to help us grow the product range and lift the quality of the engineering and its people to new highs.
The role of Principal Powertrain Engineer will be to manage and oversee all Powertrain elements of projects. Timely decision making and positive team leadership is key to a healthy and productive working environment. A hands-on approach and can-do attitude are essential, as is the ability to challenge mainstream thinking in a constructive and energetic way.
You will be overseeing the delivery of all powertrain projects including new platforms and support for existing powertrains.
Roles, duties and responsibilities:
Key responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
● Overseeing and managing the correct benchmarking of industry standards and competitor vehicles.
● Production and management of timelines for projects in conjunction with respective team leaders.
● Overseeing first release Engineers lists and drawings.
● Support in the selection of materials and manufacturing process.
● Manage powertrain specific design reviews.
● Acting first deputy for the Engineering Manager in their absence
Key Characteristics candidates should demonstrate:
The management of your team including;
● Keeping morale high and motivating your team while providing leadership when required.
● Making critical decisions as required.
● Recognising the training needs of staff.
● Keeping staff working within departmental procedures.
● Completing appraisals Senior and Junior members of the team.
● Assisting in the recruitment of new team members.
Continual development of the knowledge base and capabilities within the Design and Engineering department. This includes;
● Assisting the Chief & Principal Engineer in creating and maintaining department procedures.
● Attending and inputting into the Engineering meetings for Powertrain.
● Sharing and communication of technical knowledge with other teams and individuals via Engineering meetings.
Candidate Essential Requirements:
● An interest and detailed understanding of fundamental motorcycle principles.
● Practical hands-on engineering and mechanical experience.
● A minimum of 10 years automotive/engineering background.
● Proven experience in a similar role.
● Pro-E or CREO experience is preferred but not essential.
● An understanding of Powertrain and its interaction with chassis and electronics.
● A knowledge of DFM, DFA and 8D problem solving analysis.
● Experience liaising with the supply chain.
● Be experienced in materials and manufacturing processes such as machining, castings, forgings, pressings and welding.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
● 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
● A generous pension scheme
● Life insurance (We Care Employee Support Programme)
● On-site free parking
● Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
● Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full-time
Salary is dependent upon experience
It is essential that you send both your CV and a cover letter when applying for this role. Please also state where you heard about this vacancy within your application.
We have a 10 day reply policy, so if you do not hear from us within 10 days, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to email@example.com stating which role you are applying for.