Job Description - Senior Mechanical Development Engineer
Norton Motorcycles is an iconic, British motorcycle brand delivering exquisite riding experiences. For over 120 years, Norton Motorcycles has been celebrated worldwide for its unique place in motorcycle history. Now under new ownership, Norton Motorcycles is proud to sit with the TVS Motor family.
Entering a new era, we are scaling globally and this role will give successful recruits the opportunity to be a part of that growth. This role will be based in our state-of-the-art facilities in Solihull, West Midlands, working within our tight-knit but ever-expanding team.
As such, we are looking for a time served Mechanical Development Engineer to help us grow a cutting edge and innovative product range whilst lifting the quality of the Designs to new highs.
The role of a Mechanical Development Engineer will be to support Design & Engineering activities. Timely decision making and positive interdepartmental team working is key to success in this area. A hands-on, critical problem solving approach with a keen eye for detail and can-do attitude are essential.
Role, duties and responsibilities:
● Overseeing and managing development engine builds from pre-build to post-test strip.
● Assembly measurement of engines.
● Meticulous build records of engine builds.
● Problem resolution when build issues arise.
● Interdepartmental working to achieve required goal.
● Support production with new model build concerns and process development.
● Plan, manage and execute DoE for specific component testing.
o Including specifying and installing appropriate instrumentation based on test requirements.
● Data processing and reporting following/during testing.
● Preparation of technical documents to support test requirements.
● Lead and support Engineering in problem solving using established RCA methods.
● Support and lead process improvement activities for the Mechanical Development department.
● Support of Design department where necessary.
● Manage logistics of all testing activities.
o Utilising and managing external resource.
● The management of your team including;
o Keeping moral and motivating your team.
o Delegating workload carefully to an individual’s capabilities,
o Providing strong leadership when required.
● Making decisions when required.
● Assisting with technical questions and engineering support.
● Clear & concise communication of complex issues.
● Continual development of the knowledge base and capabilities within the Design and Engineering department. This includes;
o Assisting the Chief Powertrain Engineer in creating and maintaining department procedures.
o Attending and inputting into the Engineering meetings for Powertrain.
o Sharing and communication of technical knowledge with other teams and individuals via Engineering meetings.
o Reporting on key lessons learned from testing.
Candidates will ideally satisfy the following essential requirements:
● A passion for motorcycles & internal combustion engines
● Minimum of 5 years automotive/motorcycle engineering background.
● Hands on engine build experience is preferred but not essential.
● Experience of engine development.
● Measurement techniques is preferred.
● RCA problem solving methods.
● Working knowledge of engine manufacturing techniques.
● Experience of engine test cycles and methods.
Benefits of working for Norton:
We offer desirable benefits for all employees of Norton, including;
● 25 days holiday (+ Bank Holidays)
● A generous pension scheme
● Life insurance (We Care Employee Support Programme)
● On-site free parking
● Twice Yearly Event (Summer and Winter)
● Flexible working can be on offer for selected roles
Applicants must have the Right To Work in the UK
NO AGENCY APPLICATIONS
Job Type: Full time - Permanent
Salary package is dependent upon previous experience.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org stating which role you are applying for.
We have a 10 day reply policy, so if you do not hear from us within 10 days, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.